ABOVE: An evening view of the River Sile in Treviso, Italy.
Treviso is a prosperous and historic Italian town that lies about 20 km or 12 miles from Venice. (See photo above). For many tourists, however, it's known primarily as the home of Treviso Canova Airport, which serves as the Venice gateway for Ryanair, Wizzair, Transavia, and several other low-cost airlines. And that brings us to an important warning:
- Treviso Airport is closed for runway maintenance until October 1, 2011--a fact some budget airlines' Web sites fail to mention.
Fortunately, there's also good news:
- During the maintenance work, Ryanair and other airlines that normally use Treviso Airport are flying in and out of Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE) instead. This is a great convenience if Venice is your final destination, because Marco Polo Airport is only a short distance from Venice's historic center.
Here's what you need to know if you're traveling to or from Venice on a budget airline between now and the end of September:
Departing is easy, too:
- If you're flying on Ryanair, Wizzair, Germanwings or Air Arabia, you can check in on the ground floor of the Marco Polo Airport terminal, at desks 81-88 near door A.
- If you're flying on Transavia, head upstairs to the main departures level and look for the Transavia check-in desks.
- If you've already checked in online and have only carry-on luggage, go directly upstairs to the main departures level and look for your gate on the electronic departures board.
For more information about Venice's Marco Polo Airport, including detailed articles on ground transportation, see "Marco Polo Airport" at Veniceforvisitors.com. (Scroll down to the bottom of that page for links to related articles about airport taxis, Alilaguna airport boats, water taxis, etc.)
Addendum: If you're traveling to or from Treviso (as opposed to Venice), you have two ground-transportation options during the Treviso Canova Airport shutdown:
- Ride the special ATVO coach between Marco Polo Airport and Treviso (see timetable in PDF format).
- Ride the ATVO Venice airport coach between Marco Polo Airport and the Piazzale Roma, follow the crowd across the Calatrava Bridge to Venice Santa Lucia Railroad Station, and catch one of the many inexpensive regional trains that stop in Treviso.